The Most Important Thing
How MTTR Treats Your Data
January 27, 2022
To best serve you, we are building a platform that helps you and others to better understand the issues that divide us and other perspectives, we use some of your data to help create a better platform and related services. We want to be respectful and transparent about how we do that.
First, how do we get information?
- When you register, we collect your email address and may ask for topics you’re interested in.
- When you complete a survey, enter a contest, we may ask you for your contact information, demographic information, professional information, and other information.
- When you use our mobile web, we may collect your location information if you have set your device settings to share location
- We also get information from third parties, such as data providers.
- We may collect information about people you know. Our platform may include a “Refer a Friend” program that allows you to easily forward information about MTTR to friends or family. If you elect to refer a friend or family member to our platform, we will ask for that person’s email address. We also may send that friend or family member a message on our and your behalf. We may store this information for the purpose of sending this message and to manage and improve our “Refer a Friend” program.
- We may also collect information about you in ways that we explain at the point of collection. You can choose not to provide us with certain types of information, but doing so may affect your ability to use our services.
So here are some of the key things MTTR does with your data:
- We may remove your name and email address from your information and combine it with other users’ information to make information for statistics. Which articles are users visiting most? How do they get to those articles? Do users that come directly to our homepage return the next day?
- We may customize the content experience including by using cookies, pixel tags, and other technologies on our services.
- We partner with third-party platforms, including social media platforms, to market new MTTR products to you.
- We may in the future partner with sponsors to co-host events and on these occasion when you sign up for an event, we will share that information with our sponsors.
- We may also use or share your information when you specifically allow us to do so. Remember, you have choices.
The bottom line:
Cookies and Similar Technologies
The following types of cookies are used on our services:
- Essential cookies. These cookies enable you to use our services. These cookies are essential to enable you to browse our Services and use certain features. Disabling them may prevent you from using certain parts of the Services. These cookies also help keep our Services safe and secure.
- Preference cookies. These cookies store information such as your login data, if applicable, and website preferences. Without these cookies, our Services may not be able to remember certain choices you’ve previously made or personalize your browsing experience by providing you with relevant information. These cookies can also be used to recognize your device so that you do not have to provide the same information more than once.
- Performance cookies. These cookies collect information about how you use our Services such as which pages you visit regularly. These cookies are used to provide you with a high-quality experience by doing things such as tracking page load, site response times, and error messages.
- Content cookies. These cookies gather information about your use of our services so we may improve your experience and provide you with more relevant content on our services and elsewhere online and across your devices. They are also used to gather feedback on customer satisfaction through surveys. They remember that you’ve visited our services and help us understand usage of our services.
Terms of Service
Thank you for visiting, MTTR.IS, a platform for understanding the issues that divide us. Mean Time to Repair dba MTTR. (“MTTR”, “we”, “us” and “our”) operates websites (each a “Site”) and services made available through the Sites (collectively, the Site, the Mobile Application, and such services, are referred to as the “Services”). Certain features of the Services may be subject to additional guidelines, terms, or rules, which will be posted in the Services in connection with such features. All such additional terms, guidelines, and rules are incorporated by reference into this Agreement.
These terms require the use of arbitration to resolve disputes and limit the remedies available to you in the event of a dispute.
- Registering Your Account. In order to access certain features of the Services, you may be required to become an Authorized User. An “Authorized User” is a user who has registered an account on the Services (“Account”), or has a valid account on a social networking service (“SNS”) through which the user has connected to the Services (each such account, a “SNS Account”).
- Access Through a SNS. If you access the Services through an SNS, you may link your Account with SNS Accounts by allowing us to access your SNS Account, as permitted under the applicable terms and conditions that govern your use of each SNS Account. You represent that you are entitled to grant MTTR access to your SNS Account without breach by you of any of the terms and conditions that govern your use of the applicable SNS Account and without obligating us to pay any fees or making MTTR subject to any usage limitations imposed by such third-party service providers. By granting us access to any SNS Accounts, you understand that we may access, make available and store (if applicable) any information, data, text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video messages, tags and/or other materials accessible through the Services (collectively, “Content”) that you have provided to and stored in your SNS Accounts. Unless otherwise specified in this Agreement, all SNS Content shall be considered to be Your Content for all purposes of the Agreement. Depending on the SNS Accounts you choose and subject to the privacy settings that you have set in such SNS Accounts, personally identifiable information that you post to your SNS Accounts may be available on and through your Account for the Services. Please note that if an SNS Account or associated service becomes unavailable or our access to such SNS Account is terminated by a Third-Party Service Provider, then SNS Content will no longer be available on and through the Services. You have the ability to disable the connection between your Account and your SNS Accounts at any time by [accessing the “Settings” section of the Services]. YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH THIRD-PARTY SERVICE PROVIDERS ASSOCIATED WITH YOUR SNS ACCOUNTS IS GOVERNED SOLELY BY YOUR AGREEMENT(S) WITH SUCH THIRD-PARTY SERVICE PROVIDERS, AND WE DISCLAIM ANY LIABILITY FOR PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION THAT MAY BE PROVIDED TO US BY SUCH THIRD-PARTY SERVICE PROVIDERS IN VIOLATION OF THE PRIVACY SETTINGS THAT YOU HAVE SET IN SUCH SNS ACCOUNTS.
- Registration Data. In registering an Account on the Services, you agree to (a) provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself as prompted by the registration form (the “Registration Data”); and (b) promptly update the Registration Data to keep it true, accurate, current and complete. You represent that you are of legal age to form a binding contract and not a person barred from using the Services under the laws of any applicable jurisdiction. You are responsible for all activities that occur under your Account. You may not share your Account or password with anyone, and you agree to notify MTTR immediately of any unauthorized use of your password or any other breach of security. If you provide any information that is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, or MTTR has reasonable grounds to suspect as much, MTTR has the right to suspend or terminate your Account and this Agreement and to refuse any and all current or future use of the Services. You agree not to create an Account on behalf of someone other than yourself or if you have been previously removed by MTTR.
- Your Account. You have no ownership or other property interest in your Account, and all rights in and to your Account are and will forever be owned by and inure to the benefit of MTTR.
Use of the Site and Services.
MTTR grants you a non-transferable, non-exclusive, revocable, limited license to access and use the Services solely for your own personal, noncommercial use. You acknowledge and agree that MTTR will have no obligation to provide you with any support or maintenance in connection with the Site or Services.
- Application License.
Subject to your compliance with the Agreement, MTTR grants you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, revocable license to download, install and use a copy of the Application on a single mobile device or computer that you own or control and to run such copy of the application solely for your own personal or internal business purposes. Furthermore, with respect to any Application accessed through or downloaded from the Apple App Store (an “App Store Sourced Application”), you will only use the App Store Sourced Application (a) on an Apple-branded product that runs the iOS (Apple’s proprietary operating system) and (b) as permitted by the “Usage Rules” set forth in the Apple App Store Terms of Service. Notwithstanding the first sentence in this section, with respect to any Application accessed through or downloaded from the Google Play store (a “Google Play Sourced Application”), you may have additional license rights with respect to use of the Application on a shared basis within your designated family group. Certain items of software may be provided with the Application that are subject to “open source” or “free software” licenses (“Open Source Software”). Some of the Open Source Software is owned by third parties. Each item of Open Source Software is licensed under the terms of the end-user license that accompanies such Open Source Software. Nothing in this Agreement limits your rights under, or grants you rights that supersede, the terms and conditions of any applicable end user license for the Open Source Software. If required by any license for particular Open Source Software, MTTR makes such Open Source Software, and our modifications to that Open Source Software, available by written request at the notice address specified in this Agreement.
- Certain Restrictions.
The rights granted to you in this Agreement are subject to the following restrictions: (a) you will not license, sell, rent, lease, transfer, assign, distribute, host, or otherwise commercially exploit the Services or any content displayed on the Services; (b) you will not frame or utilize framing techniques to enclose any trademark, logo or other portion of the Services (including images, text, page layout or form) of MTTR; (c) you will not use any metatags or other “hidden text” using MTTR’s name or trademarks; (d) you will not modify, make derivative works of, disassemble, reverse compile or reverse engineer any part of the Site except to the extent the foregoing restrictions are expressly prohibited by applicable law; (e) you will note use any manual or automated software, devices or other processes (including but not limited to spiders, robots, scrapers, crawlers, avatars, data mining tools or the like) to “scrape” or download data from any web pages contained in the Site or Services (except that we grant operators of public search engines revocable permission to use spiders to copy materials from the Services for the sole purpose of and solely to the extent necessary for creating publicly available searchable indices of the materials, but not caches or archives of such materials; (f) you will not access the Services in order to build a similar or competitive website, product, or service; and (g) except as expressly stated herein, no part of the Services may be copied, reproduced, distributed, republished, downloaded, displayed, posted or transmitted in any form or by any means. Unless otherwise indicated, any future release, update, or addition to the Services’ functionality will be subject to this Agreement. All copyright and other proprietary notices on or in the Services (or on any content displayed on the Services) must be retained on all copies thereof.
MTTR reserves the right, at any time, to modify, suspend, or discontinue the Services (in whole or in part) with or without notice. You agree that MTTR will not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension, or discontinuation of the Site or any part thereof.
- Ownership. All IP rights, including copyrights, patents, trademarks, and trade secrets, in the Services and its content are owned by MTTR and our Media’s suppliers. Neither this Agreement (nor your access to the Services) transfers to you or any third party any rights, title or interest in or to such IP rights, except for the limited access rights set forth in Section 2.1. MTTR and its suppliers reserve all rights not granted in this Agreement.
You agree to indemnify and hold MTTR (and its officers, employees, and agents) harmless, including costs and attorneys’ fees, from any claim or demand made by any third party arising out of (a) your use of the Services, (b) your violation of this Agreement or (c) your violation of applicable laws or regulations. MTTR reserves the right, at your expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter for which you are required to indemnify us, and you agree to cooperate with our defense of these claims. You agree not to settle any matter without MTTR’s prior written consent. MTTR will use reasonable efforts to notify you of any such claim, action or proceeding upon becoming aware of it.
The Services may contain links to third-party websites and services (collectively, “Third-Party Links”). Such Third-Party Links are not under our control, and we are not responsible for any Third-Party Links. We provide access to these Third-Party Links only as a convenience to you, and we do not review, approve, endorse, or make any representations with respect to Third-Party Links. You use all Third-Party Links at your own risk and when you click on any of the Third-Party Links, the applicable third party’s terms apply, including the third party’s privacy and data gathering practices.
You release and forever discharge MTTR (and our officers, employees, agents, successors, and assigns) from, and hereby waive and relinquish, each and every past, present and future dispute, claim, controversy, demand, right, obligation, liability, action and cause of action of every kind and nature (including personal injuries, death, and property damage), that has arisen or arises directly or indirectly out of, or that relates directly or indirectly to, the Services (including any interactions with, or act or omission of, other users of the Services or any Third-Party Links). IF YOU ARE A CALIFORNIA RESIDENT, YOU HEREBY WAIVE CALIFORNIA CIVIL CODE SECTION 1542, WHICH STATES: “A GENERAL RELEASE DOES NOT EXTEND TO CLAIMS WHICH THE CREDITOR DOES NOT KNOW OR SUSPECT TO EXIST IN HIS OR HER FAVOR AT THE TIME OF EXECUTING THE RELEASE, WHICH IF KNOWN BY HIM OR HER MUST HAVE MATERIALLY AFFECTED HIS OR HER SETTLEMENT WITH THE DEBTOR.”
THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS-IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS, AND MTTR (AND OUR SUPPLIERS) EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING ALL WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, QUIET ENJOYMENT, ACCURACY, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. WE (AND OUR SUPPLIERS) MAKE NO WARRANTY THAT THE SERVICES WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, WILL BE AVAILABLE ON AN UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR-FREE BASIS, OR WILL BE ACCURATE, RELIABLE, FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL CODE, COMPLETE, LEGAL, OR SAFE. IF APPLICABLE LAW REQUIRES ANY WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO THE SITE, ALL SUCH WARRANTIES ARE LIMITED TO NINETY (90) DAYS FROM THE DATE OF FIRST USE.
SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO THE ABOVE EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON HOW LONG AN IMPLIED WARRANTY LASTS, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
LIMITATION ON LIABILITY TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL MTTR (OR OUR SUPPLIERS) BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY LOST PROFITS, LOST DATA, COSTS OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE PRODUCTS, OR ANY INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO THIS AGREEMENT OR YOUR USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE SERVICES, EVEN IF MTTR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. ACCESS TO, AND USE OF, THE SERVICES IS AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK, AND YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR DEVICE OR COMPUTER SYSTEM, OR LOSS OF DATA RESULTING THEREFROM.
TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, NOTWITHSTANDING ANYTHING TO THE CONTRARY CONTAINED HEREIN, OUR LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ANY DAMAGES ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO THIS AGREEMENT OR THE SERVICES (FOR ANY CAUSE WHATSOEVER AND REGARDLESS OF THE FORM OF THE ACTION), WILL BE LIMITED TO A MAXIMUM OF FIFTY US DOLLARS (U.S. $50). THE EXISTENCE OF MORE THAN ONE CLAIM WILL NOT ENLARGE THIS LIMIT. YOU AGREE THAT OUR SUPPLIERS WILL HAVE NO LIABILITY OF ANY KIND ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO THIS AGREEMENT.
SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
Term and Termination
Subject to this Section, this Agreement will remain in full force and effect while you use the Services. We may suspend or terminate your rights to use the Services (including your Account) at any time for any reason at our sole discretion. MTTR will not have any liability whatsoever to you for any termination of your rights under this Agreement, including for termination of your Account. Even after your rights under this Agreement are terminated,
Changes. This Agreement is subject to occasional revision, and if we make any material changes, we may notify you by sending you an e-mail to the last e-mail address you provided to us (if any), and/or by prominently posting notice of the changes on our Site. In the event that the last e-mail address that you have provided us is not valid, or for any reason is not capable of delivering the notice described above, our dispatch of the e-mail containing such notice will nonetheless constitute effective notice of the changes described in the notice. Any changes to the Agreement will be effective immediately for new Users of the Services and for Users who are Visitors and will be effective thirty (30) calendar days following our posting of notice of the changes on our Site for Authorized Users, or thirty (30) days after dispatch of an e-mail notice of such changes (if applicable) to such Authorized Users. Continued use of our Services following notice of such changes will indicate your acknowledgement of such changes and agreement to be bound by the terms and conditions of such changes.
- Electronic communications.
The communications between you and MTTR may use electronic means, whether you visit or use our Services or send e-mails to us, or whether mttr posts notices on or in the Services or communicates with you via e-mail. For contractual purposes, you (a) consent to receive communications from MTTR in an electronic form; and (b) agree that all terms and conditions, agreements, notices, disclosures, and other communications that MTTR provides to you electronically satisfy any legal requirement that such communications would satisfy if it were be in a hardcopy writing. The foregoing does not affect your statutory rights, including but not limited to the Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act at 15 U.S.C. section 7001 et. Seq (“E-Sign”).
Notice. Where MTTR requires that you provide an e-mail address, you are responsible for providing us with your most current e-mail address. In the event that the last e-mail address you provided to us is not valid, or for any reason is not capable of delivering to any notices required or permitted by this Agreement, our dispatch of the e-mail containing such notice will nonetheless constitute effective notice.
This Agreement, including the documents referred to herein, constitutes the entire agreement between you and us regarding the use of the Services. Our failure to exercise or enforce any right or provision of this Agreement will not operate as a waiver of such right or provision. If any provision of this Agreement is, for any reason, held to be invalid or unenforceable, the other provisions of this Agreement will be unimpaired and the invalid or unenforceable provision will be deemed modified so that it is valid and enforceable to the maximum extent permitted by law.
All rights reserved. All trademarks, logos and service marks (“Marks”) displayed on or in the Services are our property or the property of third parties. You may not use these Marks without our prior written consent or the consent of such third party.